Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Let the Athens Discovery Begin!

It was love at first sight. The charm of downtown's historic landscape surrounded by dynamic creativity, unique shops, and friendly passerbys caught me off-guard. I hadn't expected my first college visit to be my one and only. But while visiting the University of Georiga four years ago to explore the Classic City, I immediately knew that Athens, Ga was exactly the town I wanted to call home.



My name is Katie Strasberg, and Athens, Ga is more than a home to me these days. Now a senior, my love for the southern charm and vibrant artistic scene of this Georgia town has flourished over the past four years. This amazing city has a personality of its own offering everything from farm-fresh fare at local restaurants to eclectic knickknack and gift shops that can be explored for hours. The music traditions of the town are unlike anything else, with a wide-variety of tunes played downtown at historic venues every night of the week and local musicians adding their personal touch to the ever-changing Athens culture.

 
Luckily for me, I have the opportunity to combine my love for this city with my passion for public relations as a PR and social media intern at Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau this semester. As a public relations major earning a sociology minor and new media certificate, it's a perfect fit. Even though I have already savored a wide array of experiences in the Classic City, I cannot wait to explore and learn even more about its rich history and diverse attractions and pass it along to you.

I hope you are as excited as I am to begin discovering all that makes Athens, Ga. the culturally rich, uniquely creative, and always-vibrant southern town that so many have grown to love.

Let me know where I should be sure to visit this fall in Athens, Georgia!

No comments: