Thursday, January 14, 2010

Drive-By Truckers Homecoming Shows

I really can't say enough great things about hometown favorites the Drive-By Truckers. Aside from being one of my favorite bands of all time, the guys (and gal) in DBT give a lot back to the community, from helping out the UGA music business program to their frequent involvement at Nuci's Space, Athens' ground zero for musician resources and support services. I'm going to the first show of their three-night stand at the 40 Watt tonight (tonight's show is a fundraiser for Nuci's Space), and I'm very excited about the lineup.

Opening for the Truckers is the Camp Amped Sampler, a group of kids who have been through Nuci's Space's Camp Amped program. Can you imagine having the chance to open for a band that's been called "the best rock band in America" (CNN.com) as a teenager? I think that's just great. I interviewed some of the kids from Camp Amped for the Athens Banner-Herald (my other job), and talking to them reminded me that none of us should take for granted just how valuable it is to invest in the youth of our community by supporting their creative efforts.

Friday and Saturday are sold out, but I don't doubt all the shows will be great--so get a ticket to tonight's show if you can. 2009 hit the music community in Athens so hard, and everyone around is hoping for a less tragic year in 2010. In that spirit, Patterson Hood promises on the DBT blog that the shows will be uplifting and celebratory: "I'm planning on kicking off our first show of the decade with the most life affirming songs I can find," he writes.

I'll raise a glass to that.

No comments: